Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pros/Cons of Macbook Pro 2010 and Tips

Here are a few positives things I realized while using the macbook pro:

1. Always been a PC user and hated the idea of macs, but the 13 inch MBP is actually one of the best computers price wise out there for its specs and design (especially with student discount). Can't say the same for the larger screen models

2. Run's fantastic. I do however have a solid state drive (SSD) in it so it's not fair to truly compare to other PC's. OSX is easy to use and the multi touch features are a huge way to improve time usage.

3. Bootcamp to install Windows is great. Nothing beats have 2 OS's at your disposal on one machine.

4. Battery life is superb. OSX can give me 8 hours with actual usage (I bet I could squeeze 10 if I tried turning off bluetooth and diming the screen more) and Win7 64 bit gives me about 4 with probably max at 5 hours. Most PC laptops with a true processor and not an ultralow voltage one will advertise 4-6 hours but really only give 2-3 with actual usage.

5. Graphics are great and suitable for gaming. I can run COD4 at 1280x800 resolution (which looks great) and its more than playable.

6. It just looks great and is silent unless running intensive apps or lying it on your covers or something for a while. It's true you pay a premium for apple products but they look and feel great (only pc laptop that can compare is the sony vaio z but thats a whole other price range).

7. High resale value as it's EASY to sell apple products.

Some negatives

8. Lacks core i processor though they did that for solid reasons which I'd have to agree on. You can find articles online

9. Glossy screen but most laptops have that

10. The lack of inputs is very frustrating. Two usb ports hasn't hurt me yet but I think it will later down the road and mini display port proprietary technology is something I hate apple for.

11. I notice that due to the aluminum casing the laptop is pretty cold almost everywhere except for 1/4 of the bottom of the laptop where the processor lies. When it gets hot only that 1 part is actually hot. Understandable but a little weird.

Tips

Don't buy apple care from apple or anywhere except like ebay. At apple its like $299 on ebay its $100. Same goes with accessories. I tried to buy a screen protector and hdmi adapter from apple. Quoted me at $100 bucks. Went on ebay and bought both for $25 (not the same brands but both do the same exact job anyway).

You can use cracked software as easily as you can for a PC. And you can also download torrents.

DO NOT buy a SSD (if you choose to add one like I did) from apple. The one they use is shitty and it's cheaper if you choose one yourself and just do it. It's extremely easy to do. I've had no experience upgrading a drive except for my PS3 lol and I did it all easily.

This post was originally to answer someone's question that they had personally msged me. I decided I should share it with the rest of the world!

Check out my youtube channel featuring video of results with my new Corsair R120 SSD and my macbook running COD4

http://www.youtube.com/user/ahbitheman1

No comments:

Post a Comment